As partners of World Architecture Day 2012: London, the International Union of Architects has nominated this year’s theme as ‘Architects are city changers’. As global populations rise, with city dwellers expected to make up 70% of the world’s inhabitants by 2050, it will be the responsibility of architects to shape the urban fabric and develop the necessary tools to accommodate the citizens of the 21st century.
To achieve these goals, it is essential to:
- Mitigate climate change, reduce pollution, and improve management of resources and energy
- Structure cities so that they are socially inclusive, accessible and equitable, eliminating discrimination and precarious housing
- Develop cities that can resist crises and cataclysms, whether natural or man-made
- Develop economic, educational and creative opportunities for all
- Ensure the security and sanitary conditions essential to all individuals
Architects will play a critical role in this evolution by implementing the necessary changes to create resilient, sustainable cities and offer living conditions conducive to personal development and well-being. World Architecture Day is the ideal platform for architects, UIA Member Sections and its work programmes to demonstrate the role they can play in developing our cities of the future.
Programme Director, World Architecture Day